You should limit your intake of sugar to between 6 and 9 teaspoons per day, but most Americans consume closer to 22 teaspoons(according to the MayoClinic.com). Too much refined sugar can lead to weight gain, Tooth Decay, and increases your risk of hypertension, diabetes, depression and certain types of cancer. Plus, it messes with your overall brain functioning and energy levels throughout the day.
Replace 1 cup of white sugar with these:
- 1 cup Birch sugar (xylitol) is one of the most Bulletproof artificial sweeteners just make sure it is not corn sourced.
- 1 tsp. Stevia - You may have to experiment to get the ratio right. Also Bulletproof.
- ErythritolBulletproof as well.
- 3/4 cup of Agave nectar and Lower oven temp by 25 degrees
- 1 1/2 cups Barley malt syrup
- 1/2-3/4 cup Birch syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Brown rice syrup is Good for hard or crunchy baked goods
- 2/3-1 cup Date sugar - Burns easily
- 1/2-3/4 cup Honey: if no liquid, add 3 tbs. flour for each 1/2 cup honey. Lower oven temp by 25 degrees
- 3/4 cup Maple syrup - Add 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup Maple sugar - Add 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 1 cup Rapadura
- 1 cup Sucanat - Add 1/4 tsp baking soda
Most syrup works well in moist baked goods, but will soften crispy baked goods like biscotti or cookies. Experiment with these conversions, as they may vary from recipe to recipe.
So set yourself a goal! Grab one of these alternatives and see how it works for you.
© Integrative Nutrition